Sunday, August 24, 2014

Low Back Pain - - Red Flags and Yellow Flags

Although he makes no reference to what I do, perhaps, he hasn't been exposed to McKenzie MDT or Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy yet; he does a great job explaining red flags and yellow flags in this video.  An MDT assessment screens for all of these flags.  Low back pain is very common.  I don't want you to think that you have a disability when your physician orders further testing such as an MRI.  You can read my thoughts on these from a previous blog here (What About MRI's?)  This is no excuse for bed rest, or to stop exercising unless your doctor says so.  Staying active and having a positive attitude actually help to decrease your pain!  One of the worst things for common low back pain is avoiding activity.  "Motion is Lotion!"  If you are afraid to move, I recommend you get a good mechanical assessment.



Although uncommon in my practice, I have found metastatic cancers, ruptured and extruded disc problems that have required surgery, avascular necrosis of the femoral head, and other red and yellow flags during my evaluations.  I am often amazed at the power these assessments provide.  Just this week I had a patient who was really worried that her low back pain was being referred from her uterus.  After a thorough assessment her back pain was found to be mechanical providing her with great relief.  She is now on her way to a speedy recovery.



Even though low back pain is very common and easily managed it may be something serious.  If you have night pain, 10 out of 10 pain on an analog scale,  fever with your back pain, you are an IV drug abuser, you have osteoporosis or you have back pain after a fall,  if you have lost weight in the last 3 months you cannot explain, or have a previous history of lung, prostate or breast cancer, morning stiffness that lasts longer than an hour then you really need to get your back pain checked out.  If you have difficulty starting the process of urination or lose your bowel and/or bladder control, have numbness in the saddle (groin or rectal) area  you should seek immediate medical attention.  This means GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM.  This is serious!

You can rest assured that if your back pain is not rapidly reducible, you will be referred to the appropriate practitioner for further testing and follow up.  You know what I am going to say..."Everyone Deserves a Good Mechanical Assessment and Therapy Plan!"  Visit grimmpt.com or call 504-228-0524 to set up yours today.

2 comments:

  1. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    reduce back pain

    ReplyDelete