Sunday, August 10, 2014

I Didn't Do It Enough So I Lost It!

You better believe I am doing it now though.  What am I referring to?  Mobility.  Especially in my overhead reach department.  When I first started CrossFit 2 1/2 years ago I was unable to squat with my arms overhead.  Crazy!  Boy, was that an eye opener for me.

Impossible 2 1/2 years ago

As soon as I raised my arms overhead with or without a PVC pipe, I couldn't bend my knees.  Ridiculous!  I have been exercising my entire life in some form or fashion, but never really got the mobility thing going until now.  I am now able to do this thanks to my wonderful CrossFit coaches.  I feel this may be my greatest accomplishment at the box up to this point.  I know I have worked very hard to gain this motion and I am not going to lose it now!

I had been messing around with Kelly Starrett's Mobilitywod and really like what he is doing.  He is a fellow physcial therapist/CrossFitter who is helping thousands of people improve their mobility with a few tools.  You can check out his website here.  

However, what I am really excited about is something that has  come up on my radar this past year or so...the Ido Portal Movement Culture.  He has challenged everyone to hang for a total of 7 minutes for 30 days to help increase mobility, strength and quality of movement. Believe me, this sounds easy, but it isn't.  Check out his website for more information and follow him on Facebook.  People from all over the world with varying levels of strength and mobility are taking on this challenge.  His recent blog post about his challenge is here.  Read the entire post before you start.  There is a ton of valuable information in it.  



Who knows?  Maybe this will be the ticket to my mobility problems, and possibly yours.  I know I feel much better after only 4 days of the challenge.  I cannot wait to see the difference in 30 days!   If you have any shoulder problems it might be wise to check with your doctor first.  You know I did, and he is doing the challenge with me.  So here's to hanging out.

Of course, if you are having pain and loss of motion it would probably be a good idea to get a good mechanical assessment.  You never know, it might just be rapidly reversible.  You know what I always say, "Everyone Deserves a Good Mechanical Assessment and Treatment Plan!"  Visit grimmpt.com or call 504-228-0524 to set up your evaluation today.

No comments:

Post a Comment