Sunday, May 4, 2014

What about MRI's?

I was reading this article the other day and it made me think a little bit more about the type of practice that I have.  It is not unusual for patients to tell me what their MRI (Magnetic Reasonance Imaging) scan showed or what they think their diagnosis is based on their MRI findings.

 I have never ever treated an MRI and really hate to even see the reports until I am done with my assessment and have made a classification and treatment plan.  Of course, I am a huge fan of anatomy and love to compare my findings with an image. I believe that if you took an MRI of everyone in the greater New Orleans area ages 25 - 55,  the majority of them would show bulging discs and degenerative disc disease, what I like to term "normal aging."  Some of these people would actually have pain complaints that corresponded with the MRI findings, but the majority would not.  The problem seems to be that my "bulging" or herniated discs aren't touching anything painful, while yours might.  I just want to treat what is actually painful, blocking motion or reducing strength and not what is on an MRI.


I used to work editing medical textbooks back in the day for a prominent medical book publisher.  After 4 hours of reading the same text over and over and over, in a small cubicle,  looking for mistakes, it wasn't unusual for my cohorts and I to be convinced that we had the rare maladies we were working on by the lunch hour.  Kind of like what you think about you'll bring about...  Even though it would be implausible to get Beri Beri,  Pica syndrome or Malaria in such a short time.  So I do understand when patients have results of their MRI that they suddenly can feel their bulging discs or degenerative disc disease.  The question remains though, are these findings the pain producers or not?  Only a good mechanical assessment can tell for sure.  Does it really matter what the MRI says if you are able to rapidly reverse and treat your symptoms in your spine or extremities?  My guess is not.

So if we really want to cut health care costs, maybe we should start with our mentality about MRIs.  You can see the Article I read about MRI's  here.  Do you really need to pay an average of $1,950.00 for a cervical MRI for this information?  Just food for thought.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to get rid of MRI's...they definitely have their place in diagnosis. As a Physical Therapist, do I really want to see what an MRI will show me?  Well, yes, I kind of do, but then an MRI will do nothing to fix your problem.  A mechanical diagnosis on the other hand will lead the treatment of your painful condition.    
Not to worry, if I suspect sinister pathology such as a tumor, cancer, infection, fracture or other life threatening red flags, I will be the first to recommend getting imaging.

You know what I am going to say.  "Everyone Deserves a Good Mechanical Assessment and Treatment Plan!"  Call 504-228-0524 or visit grimmpt.com to set up your evaluation today.


No comments:

Post a Comment