Sunday, September 7, 2014

What a Week!

I went to a new doctor myself this week.  As you probably know I am trying to keep myself healthy and having a check up now and then is part of my plan.  


1.  The hour was spent with her on her laptop typing in the lab results and medications, vitamins and supplements I am currently on.  I had brought written copies of this for her records.    I realize that this is now the norm in medical practices thanks to the regulations insurance companies place on us leaving us very little time to actually practice our professions.

2.  I was offered only an opportunity to change one of my medications from an "alternative" to a more mainstream one based on new blood work that she ordered.  
3.  There was no interest generated in my current diet or lifestyle or my questions regarding the root of my health problems.  



Later on this week I read an article  and came across this statement:  

"I made a mistake for most of my professional career, a mistake nearly all my physician colleagues make. For decades, I believed the best way to take care of my patients was to use the latest drugs and newest procedures. Instead of talking to my patients about food, toxin exposure, or activity level, I prescribed meds and moved on to the next person as quickly as I could."  Dr. Terry Wahls in an article here in the Huffington Post.  

This sounds just like the experience I had!  I realize that doctors get very little training in nutrition, toxin exposure and lifestyle choices.  I know that it is difficult to keep up with the literature that is coming out, believe me I can't keep up with everything in my field either.  This just saddened me and really frustrated me.   You just have to be your own health advocate and do your own research on your specific health issues.   Health care professionals don't have the time to learn everything and are really buried in bureaucratic paperwork.  This is the main reason I went to a cash based practice which you can read about in one of my previous blogs (Why I Have a Cash-Based Practice).  When you come to my office, you get my undivided attention for the entire hour.  I am NOT spending time with needless documentation for insurance companies.  I spend our time together assessing and developing a treatment plan designed specifically for your problems.  

Then a wonderful thing happened to me this week.  A previous patient of mine has been following my blog The Grimm Details,  and with many questions back and forth, decided to heed some of my advice.  Here is a little bit of our conversation:  



Look how receptive her doctor was!  That was so exciting for me to hear.  I recommended to her that she should try the Whole 30.   It is detailed in the book It Starts with Food  by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig.  You can purchase the book here.  It really is a life changer for sure.  It isn't easy but the results are dramatic!  You might even lose a little weight with the lifestyle and dietary changes The Whole 30 demands.  Isn't feeling so much better and reducing medications what it is all about?  What are you waiting for?  If you have any questions give me a call or message me, I will be glad to help you get started on your journey to a healthier life.  I bet Kami could answer your questions as well.  Chances are you will feel and see improvement in your health just as she did.   Maybe you will want to name your first born after her...
Buy it Here

However, if you are experiencing pain and want to know if it is rapidly reversible you know what I am going to say, "Everyone deserves a good mechanical assessment and treatment plan!"  Schedule your evaluation today at Grimm Physiotherapy by calling 504-228-0524 or visiting the website grimmpt.com.  





No comments:

Post a Comment