Sunday, October 26, 2014

Wake Up and Smell the Cafe Au Lait! A Story of Co-Pays and a Cash Based Service

Yum!  Here in New Orleans we really love our Cafe au Lait.  Even though I have changed the hot steamed milk for coconut milk these days, but I digress.

I work in two settings.  Two days a week I work in a busy orthopedic setting where I see a patient every 1/2 hour.  I have a waiting list of people to see me there for a few weeks.  Why?  Because I get results quickly.  However, this isn't about me per se.  This is about billing, co pays and the McKenzie Method® Mechanical Diagnosis andTherapy® (MDT): evidence based assessment, diagnosis and treatment for the spine and extremities.  Two days a week I work in my solo practice at Grimm Physiotherapy.  I really love working in both settings.

Here is the rub.  In the busy orthopedic setting we accept and bill insurance (a team of people are responsible for billing and collections). We don't accept every insurance but just a few plans.  If you have a co-pay of $75.00, $85.00, $95.00 or more ( I have seen the spectrum), you are expected to pay this for every visit.  Sometimes we spend part of your 1/2 hour debating the co-pay, but it really isn't up to us.  This just cuts into the allotted time we have to spend on your healthcare.  You may or may not get the opportunity to see me, a credentialed MDT physical therapist, but you may see one of our Physical Therapy Assistants, or have our Physical Therapy Technician help you with a few exercises, just like other traditional PT clinics.
Grimm Physiotherapy
"Everyone Deserves a Good Mechanical Evaluation and Treatment Plan!"


Now at Grimm Physiotherapy  the first visit runs $120.00 for evaluation, and $60.00 for one-half hour follow up care.  You get me, a credentialed MDT physical therapist, one on one for your entire visit.  There are 30 - 60 minute appointments available depending on your needs but generally follow up visits run about 1/2 hour.  I do not use aides, technicians, or assistants to manage your care.  I don't double book or dove tail treatment sessions.  You get to see me every appointment to improve the continuity of your care.  

Back to the dollars or numbers...If you see me at Grimm Physiotherapy 5 visits you would pay $360.00 (+ or -) out of pocket and you possibly could get reimbursed by your insurance company or apply it to your deductible.  If you elect to see me in the orthopedic clinic and you have a high co-pay, you may have to pay  $ 475.00 (+ or -) out of pocket and you may or may not get to see me for your treatments.  Are you getting the drift now?  This doesn't even include all of those appointments you paid cash for including massage therapists, chiropractors, and wasted time with other non-MDT clinicians. Imagine the cost of going to other non-MDT chiropractic and physical therapy clinics who book you 3 times a week for at least a month.  Imagine how much money that would be out of pocket.    

Do you want effective inexpensive healthcare?  Do you want to see your healthcare practitioner one on one for an hour?  This is what you get  at Grimm Physiotherapy.  I know, it is the way healthcare used to be, but with all the regulations, paperwork, and red tape you have to go through in a traditional settings this is getting to be rarer and rarer these days.  

You know what I am going to say..."Everyone Deserves a Good Mechanical Evaluation and Treatment Plan!"  Call 504-228-0524 or visit grimmpt.com to set up yours today. 


1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete