Sunday, June 1, 2014

How to Release a Trigger Point

We are forever grinding away on our trigger points in the gym using a lacrosse ball.  Somehow they still persist.  Today I thought I would try to teach you what works for me when I am teaching my patients how to reduce muscle spasms and painful
trigger points.
 Trigger points are commonly referred to as "knots" in muscles.  They are formed when muscles are injured, overused or referred from other areas.  They are painful to touch and may also refer pain themselves.
If you get a massage you know when they have found a trigger point.  They will concentrate on that area and "dig" around the area.  It is one of those hurts so good kind of feelings.  If your massage is too aggressive, it may feel good at the time, but the trigger point will persist and may even hurt more later on.

In my practice, which is all about self-care, I recommend a gentle approach.  In my experience, trigger points cannot survive gentle pressure.  When you begin to feel these knots, gently press on the center of the trigger point nodule.  It should be very gentle just like laying your finger on a stick of butter. When you put your finger on a stick of butter without pressure, the heat from your finger will actually melt an indentation in the butter that look something like this picture on the right.    Once the trigger point begins to "melt" you can use your finger to melt along with it.  It generally takes 10 - 15 seconds for a trigger point to release and some can take up to an entire minute.  Some trigger points actually begin to pulsate before they are ready to resolve.
Thera Cane
In areas that are difficult to reach you can use a thera cane  that I have linked to Amazon here, a regular cane or umbrella.  I also like to use racquetballs to lie on.  You can tie two racquetballs  together in a tube sock and place under the base of your skull for a general relaxation or use a single ball on a trigger point.  These balls are much gentler and I feel more effective on reducing trigger points than lacrosse balls.

Let me know how this works for you!
Please understand that this self-technique will help you manage your trigger points but will not resolve the reason why you are getting them in the first place.  If you want to get to the root of your problems, you know what I am going to say!  "Everyone Deserves a Good Mechanical Evaluation and Treatment Plan!"  Call 504-228-0524 or visit grimmpt.com to set up your appointment today!

No comments:

Post a Comment